The UTK nutrition department and Be Well are collaborating on an initiative that will provide free nutrition assessments to faculty and staff, while providing nutrition students a hands-on learning experience. Students will be learning and refining their skills related to conducting common nutrition assessments with supervision and guidance from faculty in the nutrition department.
What is required?
- Must be a UTK employee
- Must be able to commit to the entire program
What are the benefits?
- Free nutrition assessments
- Participants receive results from all assessments
- Guided nutrition education about results
- Providing a student a hands-on learning experience
Meeting 1- Individual
- 24-hour recall – will ask participants to recall everything they ate and drank during the prior 24 hours.
- Food-and-Nutrition related history- will ask participants different questions about their eating habits (if they cook, if they eat out, any signs of food insecurity).
Homework for participant:
- Write down everything they eat and drink for 2 additional days (one week-day and one weekend day) and email/send/give to student for analysis.
Meeting 2- Individual
- Student provides an analysis of the 3 days of intake (24-hour recall plus 2 day-record) to participant.
- Physical Activity questionnaire.
Meeting 3- Individual
- Student provides feedback on physical activity assessment.
Measurements and Physical Exam (Optional in-person):
- IF the employee wants to meet in person and is comfortable with a non-invasive physical exam. Student measures participant’s: height, weight, arm span, waist circumference, knee length (possibly also thickness of skinfold in upper arm, back and waist).
- Student performs a non-invasive nutrition-focused physical exam looking for signs of muscle loss, fat loss, vitamin and mineral deficiencies.,
- (If the exam takes place, the student would also give their overall assessment of their nutritional status based on physical exam and other findings from diet records).
- If not, the student only provides information about the question the employee had.
For more questions about the program and requirements, please email Aida Miles (firstname.lastname@example.org).
There will also be a virtual interest meeting held the last week of January Please RSVP below if you would like to attend.